1. Time - IT guys simply don't have time to do everything they have to do and cover. They have to deal with the servers, the computers, the printers, the network gear, the firewall, the applications, maybe even the cell phones, etc. You know what I'm talking about. With multiple sites even, there just isn't enough time in the day. Time is a problem.
2. Expertise - IT guys simply can't be experts in everything. They are generally really good at the areas of IT that they really like, and "can do" the rest. The problem is that for the things that they "can do", those things don't get the appropriate attention. You wouldn't want to hire a golfer for your baseball team. It's just two different kinds of experiences. For the IT guy, expertise can also be a problem. But honestly, lack of expertise is no one's fault. It's just not where the tech guys experience has been in life. He is just not an expert at everything. No one is.
So what do you do with the two problems?
1. You can struggle to keep up, with the vanishing hope that one day you will be "caught up".
2. You can hire another employee.
3. You can just not get everything done.
Let's explore these options. The first option just doesn't help you. You will get tired and burnt out, and eventually seek another job. Jobs shouldn't have to feel that way.
The second option can be costly. There is a salary to be paid, vacation time, sick time, health insurance, etc. Honestly, it just costs the company more money, and the goal of the company is to make money.
The third option, well, just doesn't work. Either for the company, or for you. As an IT guy, it makes you feel like you aren't doing a good job for the company. Not your fault, it's just how it is.
So how do you fix these problems?
It's not an uncommon thing to hire a consultant. So how does a consultant help? A consultant, if you find the right one, can do a couple of things for you:
1. Give your time back (fixes problem #1).
2. Be that expert in the area you need help in (fixes problem #2).
A consultant can help by doing what?
1. Help you by getting things done, that you can't get done because of either the lack of time or you don't know how to do something, which gets you "caught up".
2. Save the company money by not being a full time employee. Not having to pay the extras.
3. Helps you get things accomplished. You don't feel like you are drowning, and it takes the load off of you. And, the company gets things done also.
This is where I step into the conversation.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Shane Killen, and I'm both a security expert and a network expert. I own a company called White Rhino Security. Let me explain where I can help you, and where I can not help you.
What areas can I help you?
Security and network is my forte'. I've been doing these two specialities for a very long time (over 20 years). I've been in all kinds of environments, in many complex networks, in many different sectors. I've been a consultant for most of my career. Security and network is what I love to do. It's fun to me.
1. What do I mean by security? Firewalls are my specialty. Perimeter firewalls, data center firewalls, cloud firewalls. I know most all vendor firewalls well. Again, I've done this for a long time. Security also means internal network security.
2. What do I mean by network? Literally, anything you can do with a router or a switch. Again, I've done this for a long time now. And I've done almost everything you can do with one, both in campus networks and data center environments.
3. I don't advertise this through my company, but I also know VoIP. I know load balancers. I know other things pertaining to "network", I just don't advertise them.
What areas can I not help you?
1. I'm not a server guy.
2. I'm not a PC guy.
3. I'm not a printer guy.
What do I offer through my company, White Rhino Security, to help you gain your time back and get the expertise for your company?
1. Firewall managed services. I'm an expert at firewalls. I am proactive, not reactive. I don't wait on you to tell me what to do. I already know what to do, and in conversation with you, I'm your proactive security guy that will take care of all your firewall needs to protect your internal data. Things you know about, and things you don't know about (but will, because I communicate). I do it all (IPS, URL filtering, malware, etc). You no longer have to worry about firewall security work with my services. I'll even provide the firewall if you want.
2. Network managed services. I'm an expert at networks. I've done routing and switching for a very long time. There isn't really anything I haven't seen.
3. Security and network projects. Need help with a project? A one time install? I do that also.
4. I also do penetration tests and vulnerability assessments. Both are valuable to a company, and I offer these services.
5. Basically, anything security and network. That's what I do. And with my managed services, there are also other things that I throw in for free, things like change log management, etc.
6. I can create a managed service package that makes sense, based on you and your company needs. Not all companies have the same needs.
7. Most importantly to me, I don't sell a product. I sell "me". I want to be your "trusted advisor", so it's important to me that I don't sell security products. Which means you get my knowledge, skills, and my personal attention for the best proactive security for your company, without the concern of me being "biased".
8. I also know disaster recovery well. That's why I have partnered with a company that I believe in, that sells a solid product. I have evaluated it myself, and I both recommend the product and the partner. I know this guy personally, and I recommend him, because I trust him. I've seen what he can do and what he does. Keep in mind, I'm a security guy, and trust is not easy for me.
9. I mentor those looking to learn. I come to you. To your company. And I mentor on topics you are interested in and that apply to your network. It doesn't matter how many people you have, the price is the same. I focus on network and security.
Are my prices expensive?
Plain and simple, No. I'm looking to make an honest living, not a killing. I think you will be surprised.
What is the "value add" for your company?
I'll tell you what the value add is. You get a dedicated, proactive security/network professional for a really good deal. You get someone who is genuinely concerned for your company security and proactive in getting security right.
So what now?
Let's just have a conversation. A conversation costs you nothing. We can discuss over phone (205.862.0265) or email (email@example.com). Whichever you prefer. It's just a conversation, with no obligation or me being a "pushy sales guy". I'm a technical guy, not a sales guy. I'd like to hear from you and extend an invitation for a conversation.